Feeling inspired by the projects of the second series and in need of an adrenaline rush, I challenged you to join me in some Bee-style sewing to see what we could produce in a week. So how bad did I feel at putting you through it? A bit.
Especially on seeing Megan displaying her (ahem, sleeveless!) wrap dress, made in just 3 hours with pins holding the waist seam together. Do read Meggipeg’s hilarious post as to how her part in this experiment went: it’s haunted by the ghosts of Patrick and May’s passing stark judgement!
Luckily, a few extra hours and the project developed into this. Megan, it looks fantastic. You both do!
Our second submission came from an interesting case… Elizabeth took up sewing only a year ago after being inspired by the first series of the Sewing Bee. Her first project was pyjamas made with fabric from Guthrie and Ghani (Lauren Guthrie was a contestant in Series 1) and she has made 80 garments since. Having got fed up with badly suited RTW, Elizabeth has been seeking an evermore perfect fit in her makes. This coat, inspired by the vintage projects in Episode 6, is proof of how much can be achieved if you push at it and focus. I’m no Patrick or May but I’m sure they’d tell Elizabeth that the fit is excellent and the plaid perfectly matched. Bonus points too for the pink elephants lining.
Apparently, it took 2 bobbins to feed all those quilting stitches. Elizabeth also points out this would’ve been impossible with the GBSB time restrictions. If you want to make a similar coat but feel daunted by a lack of experience, Elizabeth recommends this book.
Can we have Elizabeth in the next series please!
One of my favourite tasks of Series 2 was deconstructing two men’s shirts to make something new (you can see it in Episode 2, starting at 25 minutes). I tried a similar project two years ago, cutting up my husband’s work shirts to make my daughter some pyjamas (he was pretty upset the following Monday morning when looking for something to wear to work!) and found that even a small person’s garment uses more fabric than you’d think, which in turn limits creativity.
Penny Librarian chose a beautifully coloured shirt with small checks to guide the cutting and the stitching but even so found the task hard under the time constraints. She produced this top in 4 hours.
It looks great, Penny. And you were certainly not a wimp to break for lunch!! Thanks for taking part and for all the useful tips you detailed in your blog post.
The next entry came from my friend Jo who I’m often hassling to sew more, on top of her busy enough life. Jo was inspired by the prom dress task (Episode 4, 38 minutes) to challenge herself into making a dress for a black-tie do. She did this last Friday – the day of the actual event! To add to the pressure, she knew her time was going to be up at 3pm when her three children returned from school hyped up on end-of-term excitement. Luckily, Jo knows her pattern very well having made Anna a few times before. On this occasion though, she varied the thigh split to knee length as the evening do was at an army barracks! 🙂
Jo, you look great and thanks so much for the photo. Hope you had a fab time!
Finally, me. For ages, I’ve wanted to refashion a tailored garment but rifling through men’s suits in charity shops has always been a slightly stomach-turning process for me. “I wonder who wore this? An undertaker?” I always imagine.
After the Make-Do-And-Mend task in Episode 6 (25 mins into the show) I looked around charity shops again and found a 100% wool jacket with paisley lining and lots of interesting details inside. It looked new too – though I later discovered a crushed Quality Street wrapper in one of the many, beautifully tailored inner pockets.
In the show, Chinelo’s execution of this task was a triumphantly gorgeous dress. What I wanted though was a pencil skirt with braces: more like Lynda’s creation. But my jacket didn’t come with trousers and it soon became apparent that all I was going to eke out of the fabric was a low-waist mini! The length of this actually came from the sleeves with the cuff buttons ending on front hips.
My favourite part is the back of the waistband where I covered the zip with a pocket flap.
And I hope that having lining will make this more wearable.
But you ask how long it took?
TIMES (x) 4!!
If I have one criticism of the series, it’s that it’s made sewing seem easier than it is in reality.
Now, for the draw of the book. I wish I had 4 copies to give to all the entrants as not only is it a fab souvenir of an unforgettable series (complete with a surprise ending) but also because I feel sure that each of you would have made very creative use of the patterns included.
But the one winner has been drawn (by her again) and it is:
Thanks all for taking part, giving me your time and for letting me use your photos. For those with blogs, I’ve tried to include links to your work wherever possible. I hope you found it an interesting experiment and that it made some of the excitement of the show rub off on you!