Ever fallen in love with someone who at first sight didn’t appeal at all? Well, that’s the story of me and Laurel! A month ago when the pattern was released, I was decidedly underwhelmed. “Hang on, that’s not a pattern, that’s a block!” I thought. But of course, Sarai, who thinks of everything, had foreseen the reaction of sceptics such as myself and produced not only a booklet with tempting ideas on how to vary the design, she’d also thrown in a challenge in the form of a competition to see who can come up with yet more creative interpretations. Which got me thinking along the lines of: “but it looks like it’d be really quick!” And: “those sleeves are so feminine.” And: “I could do with a dress that’s practical… where’s that credit card?” 🙄 🙂
Having already garnered a few compliments IRL on my muslin, I can now safely declare Laurel to be my feelgood dress of the summer. And I want to share it with (one of) you. For a chance to win my used but respectfully preserved pattern, leave a comment below. Worldwide commentators welcome!
I’ll also be drawing for three other Colette patterns from the stash:
– the Sophia Lauren-inspired Lily, and
– the versatile Jasmine.
You may specify which draw you would, or wouldn’t, like to be entered into. If you don’t, I’ll enter you into all 4. The draw is on May the 1st.
The Laurel Muslin Review
I used a 1.5m of a full-width, light cotton to make Version 3 with the following adjustments/modifications:
2. I shortened the length by 5cm (or 2″ in Colette-speak) so as to wear as a tunic or to the beach.
3. I widened and lowered the neckline. Since these photos were taken, I’ve lowered it again by another 1cm so as to cut out the hook and eye at the back (I didn’t like how this sat). The new lower front also works better with this lapis lazuli necklace brought back by my mum from her travels in Chile.
4. I made bias binding twice the specified width
5. The waist seam: narrowed and made more vertical than out-curving.
Time taken: most of a day, not including the reworking of the neck. Would have been quicker if it wasn’t for the French seams.
Next time: I feel a slight pull towards the back so on my pattern copy I’ve moved the shoulder seam forward 0.5cm at the neck and 1cm at the shoulder.
And, oh look what indigo beauty I found browsing round Hobbs! My version cost £20: pattern, fabric an’ all.